Is anyone able to identify some publications/ evidence base for the use of AT (specifically telecare by the looks of it) for older people for colleagues in Australia (see below). I know James Barlow et al did that review of the evidence base for telecare which I will forward. Anything else?

Cheers. Keren

----- Original Message -----
From: Lloyd Walker
To: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] ; Natasha Layton ; Jane Bringolf ; David Hobbs ; [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] ; Desleigh DeJonge ; Ingrid Schraner
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:30 AM
Subject: Fwd: Assistive Technology Interview

Dear All
  For my international colleagues, the Australian Dept of Ageing is currently conducting a short study to identify research/evidence (plus gaps) in the area of AT and Frail Aged (80+). I was interviewed by them yesterday.

  They are interested in a range of our stuff (eg AT Economics etc) and I put the case as carefully as I could for costs, care vs equipment, ICF etc. One area of distinct interest is studies/papers that focus on the importance of a 'sense of control' for users of AT - especially ageing people. I was talking to them that studies had shown that much AT that is abandoned or not used (or not taken up) is because older people feel they are losing control or that the decision is being foisted on them. Thus there is reluctance for full telecare because 'others are taking control of their lives.'

  Can people let me know of papers you have come across and/or sites where there is evidence for this premise?

 Secondly they are keen to get a hold of any grey literature (ie not journal published) relating to AT and Ageing. I mentioned several of the UK sites, as well as the FICCDAT conference, March of Dimes (Canada) etc, Ageing RERCs, FASTUK. Does anyone know of others?

  Regards,  Lloyd.

?u---------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd Walker, BE(Hons) PhD
Director, Research, Technology & Innovation
NovitaTech & Novita Children's Services
PO Box 2438, Regency Park, SA  5942 Australia
Ph: +(61) 1300 85 55 85   Fx: +(61 8) 8243 8208
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:   http://www.novitatech.org.au/
To donate to our parent organisation please go to: www.novita.org.au/donate

** Join us in Adelaide for the ARATA National Conference, 22-24 September 2008!
Visit: http://www.e-bility.com/arata/conf.php for more information.
Conference theme: "Assistive Technology: Creating Value Through Participation"

>>> "Jessie Connell" <[log in to unmask]> 21/04/2008 3:14 pm >>>

Dear Lloyd,

Thank you very much for your time today. The interview was very useful to me.

If you are able to send through details of some of the studies emphasising the need for a ?sense of control? in AT use by older people, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you think of anything else you would like to say I relation to AT (or any relevant materials or websites), please don?t hesitate to email me or call me on 8233 9932.

Sincerely,

Jessie.

Jessie Connell

Consultant

Urbis

Australia Asia Middle East

Level 21 321 Kent Street Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

Tel +612 8233 9900 Fax +612 8233 9966

www.urbis.com.au

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential, and may also be the subject of legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of any part of this e-mail is unauthorised. If you have received this e-mail in error we apologise for any inconvenience which you may have been caused and request that you notify the sender or [log in to unmask]

Although we have taken care to ensure the attachment(s) (if any) to this e-mail is virus free, we cannot and do not warrant it will be free of errors or viruses. We strongly recommend attachments are scanned with the latest anti-virus software prior to opening.

By recycling one tonne of paper we save almost 13 trees, 2.5 barrels of oil, 4100kWh of electricity, 4 cubic metres of landfill and 31,780 litres of water.

Imagine what we can save if we only print when necessary.

Disclaimer

The information contained in this email is of a general nature only and does not constitute advice. This email and any attached files may be confidential or contain copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this email is unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please notify Novita Children's Services ("Novita") and remove it from your system. Novita does not guarantee that this email is free of computer viruses or other defects. It is your responsibility to check any attachments before opening or sending them on. Novita makes no representations, express or implied, as to the accuracy, usefulness, suitability or application of any information contained in this email to a person’s particular circumstances. Use of any information contained in this email is at your sole risk, and you should seek professional advice before acting or relying on the information. Novita Children's Services Inc accepts no liability for any damages or loss that may arise from the use of, or any omission from, the information provided. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where that sender specifically states them to be the views of Novita.