Apologies for cross-posting

Dear All,
This is to remind you that
our Avon Local RSS group is meeting on
Thursday 15th May (5.00 - 6.00 pm) Tea and biscuits served at 4.30 pm at:
University of Bath
Room: 3 West 3.9
Bath, BA2 7AY
(see map http://www.bath.ac.uk/maps/pdf/campusmap.pdf)

The Theme of our meeting is: On mixture modelling
with speakers Tony Robinson and M. Hurn
The titles and abstracts of the talks can also be found at
http://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/research/rss-users-group.shtml
Titles and Abstracts

Why is Mixture Modelling so Popular?
by Tony Robinson (University of Bath)
Abstract
Over the last decade or so, interest in using mixtures of statistical
models for all types of applications has risen rapidly from both the
frequentist and Bayesian points of view. What is so appealing about such
models? Are they always good news? Mainly through examples, I shall
discuss the reasons for this interest and try to point out what you might
gain and what you might lose from adopting a mixture modelling approach.

Estimating redshift for a mixture of types of galaxy
by Merrilee Hurn (University of Bath)
Abstract
The Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) is an extremely large astronomical
survey conducted with the intention of mapping more than a quarter of the
sky (http://www.sdss.org/). Among the data it is generating are
spectroscopic and photometric measurements, both containing information
about the redshift of galaxies. We consider a Bayesian mixture approach to
providing uncertainty bounds associated with the underlying redshifts and
the classifications of the galaxies. This is joint work with Peter Green
and Fahima Al-Awadhi

I am looking forward to seeing you all there.
Best wishes

Daphne Kounali