Message
I expect many of you have seen Toby West-Taylor's letter of 31 March by now. HEFCE don't seem to have needed very long to decide their response to the DIUS committee.

I have a technical question. It looks to me that where FUNDLEV and QUALAIM are in conflict, HEFCE are using FUNDLEV to determine their calculated field ELQAIM, which determines whether the student is an ELQ student or not.

For programmes which are UG in level but PG in time (such as graduate conversion diplomas in e.g. Law or Psychology), FUNDLEV is indeterminate - the HESES rules would allow either UG or PGT FUNDLEVs as far as I can see. If I understand it correctly, then an institution returning graduate diplomas as PGT to HESES will have retained funding whilst we returned them as UG and have lost funding.

I could deal with this by asking HEFCE to let me 'correct' my HESA data, but I think the HESA data were right - the programme was validated at UG level and we returned it at UG level. I know a lot of other institutions have similar provision and there are pretty substantial numbers at stake, but would anyone be willing to share views about how they have returned data, whether the numbers are now subject to ELQs and whether they think I am in the wrong about return of graduate diplomas?

Thanks

Andrew

University of East London

Dr Andrew Fisher Head of Strategic Planning ● External & Strategic Development Services (ESDS)

Docklands Campus, 4-6 University Way, London E16 2RD

T:  020 8223 2006   ●   F:  020 8223 3394  ●   E: a.fisher@uel.ac.uk  ●   W: www.uel.ac.uk