Message
Maybe while we are all thinking about this issue we could also try to stimulate analyser manufacturers and computer system developers (if there are any embedded in the computer sales companies) to think about reporting to a fixed number of significant figures.

I am certain we are not the only ones who have PSA, TSH, Troponin and other tests set to report to 2 (or even 3?) decimal places so we can report values close to the lower analytical limits. Unfortunately that means we end up reporting too many decimal places at high levels. Results of 100.00 can encourage non-laboratory clinicians interpret small changes because they think we really achieve the implied accuracy & precision.

Regards

Richard Stott
Principal Clinical Scientist
Doncaster & Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/