From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Colley, Michael
Sent: 15 April 2008 15:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ethylene glycol

I posted this on the Mail list on 4th February, just a couple of days after the news hit the papers.  Guys told me they'd seen a major surge in numbers over the few days after that.   I'm please to say we haven't had another...yet.

Michael

Further to Jonathan Kay's email re. the "Antifreeze" case, I'm delighted to report that our first Ethylene Glycol overdose for many years presented at 10:30 on Thursday morning.  Despite having apparently drunk about 700 ml of it he seems to be reasonably well at present.

He had an osmolar gap of well over 20 mosmol/L and his Glycol level was 2g/L.  Dialysis is recommended at >0.5 g/l.

However, as he appeared well, dialysis was not carried out and he was treated with fomepizole.

Appears to have survived very well and was transferred from ICU to the ward yesterday.

Will keep you updated if anything further of interest arises.

How many people do EtOH levels by a non-GC (i.e. enzymatic) method?  As we don't it couldn't be monitored regularly which is why he received fomepizole rather than EtOH infusion.

Michael

Swindon & Marlborough NHS Trust
Great Western Hospital
Marlborough Road
Swindon
SN3 6BB
Tel 01793 60 40 20

http://www.swindon-marlborough.nhs.uk

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual(s) addressed.
If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, disclosing, copying, distributing or retaining this message, or any part of it, is strictly prohibited; please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Swindon & Marlborough NHS Trust.
All messages sent by the Trust are checked for viruses but this does not, and cannot, guarantee that a virus has not been transmitted.
The Trust accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted with this e-mail.

The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.

Unless otherwise specified, the opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust or any of its subsidiaries.

The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and any replies cannot be guaranteed.

Any review, retransmission,dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.

We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are free of viruses as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/