Dear AACORN,

My art is storytelling. I think that storytelling can be an
itnervention, one that brings about economic development.

Storytelling is the interplay of narrative as text and story as life
world along with certain bets about the future that are called
antenarratives. Whereas narrative is re-presentation of experience in
a retrospective (past-looking) chronology of events, ‘living
story’ can be more about reflexivity upon ones situation in the life
world (here & now). Antenarrative is all those aspirations about what
the future will be (antenarratives). Living story is about entering
into and living life, co-experiencing life with others, co-evaluating
it from an insider's view, and co-identifying it happening to you and
the Other. Stories are more dialogic than narrative because there are
many sides of story interplaying all at once. Story is dialogic in
many ways: multi-voiced (polyphonic), multi-perspectival
(polylogical), an interplay of many stylistic genres (not only
narrative-text, but face-to-face conversation), a dramaturgy of
action among many players, a visual juxtaposition (in architecture),
various conceptions time and space relations (known as chronotopes,
and a multiplicity of discourses (such as cognitive, aesthetic, &
ethical). Narratives, by contract, are often just one-side, one
voice, or a voice quoting other voices, but not being in living
relationship to them. Narrative re-presentation, antenarrative
anticipation of the future, and living story reflexivity on the Now
are equally important to storytelling.  For more on this see ---
Boje, D. M. & Rosile, G.A. 2008. Narrative Analysis. In Mills, Albert
J.; Durepos, Gabrielle; & Wiebe, Elden (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Case
Study Research. CA: Sage. See pre-press chapter draft pdf.

I think we have an interesting case study of how to use storytelling
to promote arts & culture.

Artists Virginia Maria, Trina, and I meet this morning with Dean
Carruthers of our Business College this morning.  The press release
helps to announce the story of what we are doing to the university.
We hope to enroll his story leader skills. We hope to establish the
Arts & Cultural Affairs Commission that is a network organization
(what I call a Storytelling Organization) of some 100 leaders from
organizations in the University, 2  Chambers of Commerce, the City,
and some 58 arts service organizations and 41 galleries and museums.
We are organizing as a way that will attract art buyers to Las
Cruces, New Mexico. Currently we are undiscovered, hidden under the
shadow of Santa Fe.

We think this will need the involvement of New Mexico State
University leaders who begin to tell stories about the economic
potential of this Arts & Cultural Center.  As this happens that Arts
Industry will grow.  As the media puts it out there, that story will
be an attractor, as well.

The reports for this storytelling adventure are available online at
http://peaceaware.com/talkingstick
More on Storytelling Organization at http://storytellingorganization.com

I thought the project might be of interest to AACORN.

Oftentimes the arts and culture scene is not treated as an industry,
as source of employment and arts and cultural tourism. We hope that
storytelling interventions will restory all of that. We think there
are some tired dominant narratives that are what Nietzsche called
'antiquarian' that need to be left in the past. We think that story
noticing of what is going on in the Now and Here is needed.

david

Begin forwarded message: