When Pete made the following posting of the 14th March 2008 I said that it would take me several
weeks to respond. The response, following Pete's posting below, includes a keynote address from
last Friday at the International Conference of Teacher Research (ICTR 2008) in New York and a
video of the keynote made available today from the University of Bath's streaming server.

Pete wrote on the 14th March:

Jack -

For me, the problem's not the 'objectivity/subjectivity' thing but more the
'reification of consciousness' (and of 'the other') thing. You know the
quote, because it formed the basis of my MA dissertation late last century
i.e.

".... the Enlightenment project of liberating humanity from myth and the unknown has, by
becoming an end in itself, turned into its opposite - a new  and more powerful force of
domination. The old terror before the unknown becomes a new terror: the fear of anything that
cannot be calculated, standardised, manipulated or instrumentalised. Enlightenment progress in
scientific- technological knowledge (=power), while creating the objective possibility for a truly
free society, leads to the domination of external nature, society and inner nature. What Lukacs
analysed as the reification of consciousness was the price the potential subjects of liberation paid
for the progressive overcoming of material necessity. Throughout the course of Western
civilisation, the rationality of myth, as well as the Enlightenment which replaced it as reason only
to become a myth itself, exposes Western reason as a destructive force. Reason abstracts,
conceptualises, and seeks to reduce the concrete and the non-identical to identity, to destroy the
otherness of the other. Horkheimer and Adorno locate the irrationality of what Weber analysed as
rationalisation at its deepest source - the identity logic which is the fundamental structure of
Western reason. Human liberation could be conceived, if at all, only as a complete break with mere
formal rationality and instrumental reason ...." (Roderick (1986)'Habermas and the Foundations of
Critical Theory' drawing on Horkheimer and Adorno's 'Dialectic of Enlightenment' - page 40).
That's it.
- Pete

Pete - I agree with the above. But just agreeing with this, as you know, isn't sufficient for me. I've
gone on to explore the implications of questions of the kind, 'How do I improve what I am doing?'
in my educational practice, from a perspective of inclusionality.

Last Friday, in the keynote at ICTR 2008, I felt that with the help of the technology (see
mms://wms.bath.ac.uk/live/education/JackWhitehead_030408/jackkeynoteictr280308large.wmv
), I'd cracked the problem of communicating meanings of flows of life-affirming energy,
relationally dynamic awareness and gazes of recognition of the being of others, in explanations of
educational influence. The affirming responses of the audience during and after the presentation
provide some support that I'd communicated my meanings. The notes you can see from the video
on the screen behind me can be accessed in full from
http://www.jackwhitehead.com/aerictr08/jwictr08key.htm .

What I'd really appreciate are your responses to this latest account from my research programme
into the nature of educational theory. I'm thinking of responses that relate to my belief that I've
not only accepted the points in your posting of the 14th March. Have I also shown that I am
accounting for/explaining my educational influences in relation to flows of life-affirming energy, a
relationally dynamic awareness and gazes of recognition of the being of the other? I'm wondering
about the validity of my claim that,  like Eleanor in her Ph.D.,  the presention, paper and video,
constitute evidence of my love at work in education in an explanation of my educational influence?

Love Jack.