Cool - I had just made the same change and was testing it - glad to see that's it!

As an aside, in general profiling, it seems that pretty much all of the programs that take a lot more
time than I'd like (film_gls - I'm looking at you!) seem to spend a huge amount of time (over 85%) in
NEWMAT, especially in the matrix multiplication routine.  This isn't surprising, given that fMRI
processing is basically just a lot of linear algebra.  Have you given any thought to recoding some of
the routines in NEWMAT (especially matrix multiplication and SVD) to use LAPACK and BLAS?  That
would get you vector performance for free, since pretty much every OS has hand-optimized versions
of these libraries available.

Blaise