Dear Jacqui,
two years after your enquiry, I am faced now with a situation somewhat similar to the one you described.
I am working on a First Iron Age (Hallstatt - 5th century b.C.) site in north-eastern France. All deer remains observed (30% of determined bones), issued from 7 different spots spread all over the site, consist of antler fragments. Almost all of them are calcined and not a cutting trace has been detected on them.
What this may imply, I honestly don't know

cheers

Alessio

Alessio BANDELLI
Laboratoire d'Archéozoologie de Compiègne - CRAVO
21 rue des Cordeliers
60200 Compiègne
FRANCE

Jacqui Mulville <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :
A request from Ireland. Replies to the list and I will forward.

I have a quick query on behalf of a friend of mine who has just finished
excavating a Late Iron Age/Early Medieval rectangular enclosure close to
Cork city. A single pit within the enclosure contained large amounts of
totally calcined antler fragments - no other species or bone elements in the
pit. There is an earlier date for the feature as well - 1120-780BC (Cal).
Any parallels for such an unusual deposit?

Thanks Jacqui

Envoyé avec Yahoo! Mail.
Une boite mail plus intelligente.