Hi all,

Please find below the answer from Jacqui Watson on the organic material
on the Saxon scabbard.

Best wishes, Jessica

From: WATSON, Jacqui
Sent: Thu 06/03/2008 17:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: BAKER, Polydora; GRAHAM, Karla; PENTON, Sharon; KARSTEN, Angela
Subject: RE: [ZOOARCH] Possible fish skin on Saxon scabbard

Dear Jessica,

I've had a look at the images on the website, and although I have to
agree that the top view image is very strange looking and the rough
surface could be like a dogfish skin the granular lumps don't appear to
be in a regular pattern. From memory most shark skins and 'shagreen' are
made up of hard diamond or polygonal shaped lumps arranged in
interlocking lines - I hope this makes sense? And it's the pattern these
have as well as being rough and non-slip, and were used on sword grips
in Victorian times. Maybe the Royal Armouries or the Wallace Collection
have more information as they have a huge collection of swords from
different cultures.

I'm much more confidant about the other image, which I think is textile
and is damaged in such a way that one system of threads can be seen in
cross section and the other system winds round them. Probably a coarse
wool textile as the threads seem to be made up of fine and coarse kemp
hairs, even though most seem to be hollow. In fact if you are able to
look at a sample under the SEM you will probably be able to see that all
that remains is a cast of the hairs in the iron oxides - see attached
image.

I hope this is of some help

Jacqui

Jacqui Watson

Head of Archaeological Conservation

English Heritage

Fort Cumberland, Eastney, Portsmouth PO4 9LD

Jessica Grimm MA AIFA
Zooarchaeologist

Wessex Archaeology Ltd
Portway House, Old Sarum Park, Salisbury, Wilts. SP4 6EB

Tel No:- +44 (0)1722 326867
Fax No:- +44 (0)1722 337562
Website: www.wessexarch.co.uk

P Before printing, think about the environment