Dear all,

I was wondering if someone can help us identifying the organic substance
on a Saxon scabbard from Springhead, Kent (UK). The pictures were shot
down a microscope; not ideal, but the best we can offer. The thickness
of the object is about 1-2mm. Photos were taken from the side and some
from the top although the latter are less clear. You can however see the
knobbles on the side views as well as the general structure. Could this
be fish skin? I vaguely remember that ray skin was used on knife handles
as a natural "anti-slip".

Pictures can be viewed on BoneCommons:
http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/icaz/icazForum/viewtopic.php?p=1009#100
9

All help very welcome!

Jessica

Jessica Grimm MA AIFA
Zooarchaeologist

Wessex Archaeology Ltd
Portway House, Old Sarum Park, Salisbury, Wilts. SP4 6EB

Tel No:- +44 (0)1722 326867
Fax No:- +44 (0)1722 337562
Website: www.wessexarch.co.uk

P Before printing, think about the environment