Hi,

We have our own in-house system written in .NET. It's a fairly mature
system that's been in place for nearly 3 academic years, and is in use
by almost all departments.

Basically the department can set assignments (providing assignment
notes, deadline, etc) on a per-course basis.
When the student next logs in to the student portal (again, written
in-house) they see that they have an assignment due for the course, and
follow a link to the assignment details page (notes, deadline, etc). The
student has to accept a short plagiarism statement before they can
upload/submit files.
Finally, the department is able to view reports which show when each
student submitted, and also download a zip-file of the students'
submissions.

We don't have any tie-in to our coursework marks database yet, however
this is one of the improvements we are looking at.

As a side-note, the system allows the student to print a hardcopy (with
a watermark on each page, which dissuades plagiarism). This can then be
submitted to the department, if the department prefers hardcopy
submission (which some still do!).

Best,
Ben Steeples

Learning Technologist, WSU