Hi there..

Some may consider it unconventional to the TC tradition - but myself
and Jeremy Booker at Phoenix Futures (nee House) in Sheffield did some
work toward using an 'Emotional Intelligence' approach to monitoring
client progress, supported by principles from learning theory.

We overlayed an EI framework over the treatment programme - with
learning objectives for each stage so progression could be measured
with some objectivity (and the client involved in assessing their own
progress). The EI model didn't cover everything the TC set out to
achieve (we added various learning objectives around practical skills,
employability and so on), but it did help us focus in on what the
actual change was that we hoped to achieve.

I think we used the Goleman typology:

* Self-awareness (Emotional Self-Awareness. Accurate Self-Assessment
and Self Confidence)  *
* Self-management (Emotional Self-Control. Transparency
(Trustworthiness). Adaptability. Achievement Orientation. Initiative.
Optimism. Conscientiousness)
* Social awareness (Empathy. Organizational Awareness. Service Orientation)
* Relationship management (Inspirational Leadership. Influence.
Developing Others. Change Catalyst. Conflict Management. Building
Bonds.
* Teamwork and Collaboration. Communication)

And for each of these domains, established learning objectives (or I
prefered 'recovery objectives' ) for each stage.

I didn't look into it, but there are EI psychometric tests - not sure
whether they would be of value to the TC movement.

As a complete aside, clients entering addictions TC's in England all
do the Treatment Outcome Profile which is a quick measure of problem
severity.  http://www.nta.nhs.uk/areas/outcomes_monitoring/default.aspx

I am no longer at Phoenix, but I think Jeremy is on the list and may
have further comments ? (Hi jeremy!)

Regards

Richard Phillips