On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Tim Jenness wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Peter W. Draper wrote:
>
> >> I also haven't worked out how ems1Starf works given it purports to check
> >> $INSTALL but I can't find the string INSTALL in the source code.
> >
> > Seems all those comments are incorrect, that routine just looks along a
> > named PATH or in the local directory. I've removed the offence.
>
> It looks like the intent was good though. So it sounds like sup_nametr.f
> and gks/base/gkdfop.F needs to be tweaked to use ems1Starf in conjunction
> with $STARLINK_DIR as the path entry.

I'd say that sounds correct (gkdfop.F does pretty much this already).

> EMS1_STARF is used by mag - although it's looking for a file called
> $STARLINK_DIR/etc/devdataset.sdf which is not in the distribution. Not
> sure where it went. It's not on my Autumn 1997 Starlink CD.

It was a shared system-wide file created by the tapecreate program to give
all the system tape devices short names (by the local sysadmin). Been
deprecated since the early nineties, so any reference to it could probably
go.

Peter.