“Relating to Death”:  One day conference; The Morgan Centre for the Study of
Relationships and Personal Life, University of Manchester,  16 May 2008,

Death is a certainty that we face in living and it is said that we can judge a
culture by how it relates to death. This one day conference will explore how we
relate to, and how we live in the face of, death. We will adopt an
interdisciplinary approach, with papers from historical, anthropological and
sociological perspectives. We will ask how death is incorporated into life in
different ways and contexts, and will explore the implications of these
understandings of death for research about personal life and for theories of
relatedness and connectedness.

Programme:
Jenny Hockey, University of Sheffield '"He was my dad and I wanted him  here with
me": Media of relatedness and the informal disposal of human ashes'
Robin Wooffitt, University of York 'The Language of Mediums: The social
organisation of spirit communication in contemporary mediumship'
Sasha Handley, University of Manchester 'Ghost Stories and the Mortuary  Culture of
Enlightenment England '
Brian Heaphy, University of Manchester 'Death and the Politics of Personal Life'

Fees: £30 full or £15 concession, payable in advance.

http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/morgancentre/events/2008/relating-to-
death/

SOCREL-PG is the Postgraduate e-mail list of the BSA Sociology of Religion Study Group.
To  join SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message:
join socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME
to: <[log in to unmask]>
Send contributions to the list by
sending messages to: [log in to unmask]
To leave SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line message:
leave socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME
to: <[log in to unmask]>