Hi all,

I've not been through the viva process, but the suggestions posted on this web page
may be useful, and reiterates some of the points already made:
http://www.socanth.cam.ac.uk/pdf/viva_advice1.pdf

But keep the comments coming; it's great to hear suggestions.

Best wishes,

Sarah

On Sat Mar  8 17:47 ,         Abby Day <[log in to unmask]> sent:

>Hi all
>
>Read your thesis over and over again so you know it
>inside out.
>
>And, best advice I received was: know what you have to
>defend and what you can let go. Your thesis won't be
>perfect, so don't be so defensive that you can't
>concede a few points. After all, it is one of the best
>learning experiences you'll have.
>
>After the first half hour you'll begin to relax and
>enjoy it.
>
>Best of luck
>
>Abby
>

>--- Adrian Harris [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> mine is not far off either and I've found a useful
>> book:
>> 'How to Survive Your Viva', Rowena Murray,  Open
>> University Press 2003.
>>
>> I've also been lent a video by my Uni. called "The
>> Good Viva Guide",
>> Angel productions (www.angelproductions.co.uk).
>> Haven't looked yet, but
>> supervisor thougth it was useful.
>> Good luck!
>> Adrian
>>
>> Sharon Smith wrote:
>> > Dear fellow list members,
>> >
>> > I am due to have my PhD viva in about eight weeks
>> time and would be most
>> > grateful for suggestions as to what I should look
>> out for as I prepare for
>> > it.
>> >
>> > With thanks in advance and best wishes,
>> >

>> SOCREL-PG is the Postgraduate e-mail list of the BSA
>> Sociology of Religion Study Group.
>> To  join SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line
>> message:
>> join socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]>
>> Send contributions to the list by
>> sending messages to: [log in to unmask]
>> To leave SOCREL-PG, send the following one-line
>> message:
>> leave socrel-pg YOURFIRSTNAME YOURLASTNAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]>
>>

>Dr Abby Day
>ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow: "Believing in Belonging: An Exploration of Religious
Belief and Identity"