From: Frederick Bukachi, Kenya [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Fri 28/03/2008 10:57
To: HIF-net
Subject: [hif-net] Global Community of Practice on Health Worker Migration

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Health Worker Migration Policy Initiative

--Invites all individuals, professionals, policy and programme managers
and interest groups from around the world to participate in a virtual--

GLOBAL COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE ON HEALTH WORKER MIGRATION.

We would like to add your voice, experience, views, successes and
challenges to the policy dialogue addressing the issue of Health Worker
Migration.

Join this Global Dialogue and discuss:

How can we best address the challenges raised by health worker migration?
What are our shared responsibilities as individuals, countries and as a
global community to support the Code of Practice?

Chaired by the Honourable Mary Robinson

The Global Discussion starts
on 31 of March 2008
At 15.00 GMT

To join the global online community of practice, click at this url:

http://my.ibpinitiative.org/public/HWMigration

The Global Dialogue Forum will also provide you with membership  to the
Global Community of Practice on  Health Worker Migration with access to
useful and up-to-date information from our libraries including resource
materials, a calendar of events, announcements discussion board, and an
automatic archive of every email and document sent to that community.
This Community of Practice is aimed at bringing together individuals,
policy and programme managers, professionals and interest groups from
around the world interested in Health Worker Migration.

Everyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion, which will be led by
experts from around the world.

Your input will be acknowledged and collated into a daily digest of
issues. Each day a digest summarizing the issues, experiences and
Practice.

This is not a list-serve and you only receive one email a day.

All members of the community are encouraged to contribute to the
discussion.

It is simple!

You only need an email address and you will only receive one email per
day.

-------------

The WHO Department of Human Resources for Health (WHO/HRH) in
collaboration with Realizing Rights and the Global Health Workforce
Alliance (GHWA), supported by the WHO Department of Reproductive Health
and Research (WHO/RHR), and the Partners of Implementing Best Practices
(IBP) support the Global Community on Health Worker Migration
-------------

Topics for discussion:

Week 1:  Monday 31th March to Monday 7th April 2008

What are the current realities and dynamics contributing to health worker
migration globally?

* What push and pull factor are influencing health worker migration flows
  in your country or   region?
* Please share with us your personal experience on why you have either
  chosen to leave your   home country or chosen to stay?
* In your experience how  is the private sector  influencing the current
  realities and dynamics   of health worker migration?
* What role can the private sector play in effectively addressing the
  challenges of health   worker migration?  How can ethical recruitment
  policies be encouraged or enforced?

Experts:

Week 2: Tuesday 8th April to Monday 14th April 2008

What innovative strategies are being tested to address issues related to
health worker migration?
* What strategies to retain health workers seem to be working? From your
  experience please share examples of success stories and challenges.
* Some  countries have entered into agreements to guide health worker
  migration and its effects between their two countries. In your opinion
  what has been the positive and negative aspects of these agreements?
* What can be done to encourage migrant health workers to return to their
countries and be successfully integrated back into the health service?
Please share examples of successful interventions and the challenges that
must be addressed.

Experts:

Week 3: Tuesday 15th April to Monday 21th April 2008

What should be the key principals and elements of a Global Code of
Practice for health worker migration?

* We want your input on the development of a global Code of Practice for
  health worker migration.  Please review the attached draft framework
  for a global Code of Practice and share with us your comments and
  opinion:

a. Are there any key issues not addressed?
b. Do you think this Code of Practice can influence policy and programmes
   on health worker migration?
c. What do we need to do at the country and global level to ensure that
   this Code of Practice is accepted and applied in practice

We look forward to welcoming you to this community of practice and the
Global Dialogue Forum.
http://my.ibpinitiative.org/public/HWMigration/

HIF-net: working together to improve access to reliable information for health researchers and health professionals in developing and transitional countries. Send list messages to <[log in to unmask]>. To join or leave the list, send an email to <[log in to unmask]>. If joining, please include name, organization, country, and brief description of professional interests. Archive at:  http://www.dgroups.org/groups/HIF-net/

NOTICE

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.