Dear Prof Paul, Hope to fined  my article useful in introducing Arab social work practice and research within hospitals!
Have a peaceful day!
sahar

Researching `at Home' as an Insider/Outsider

Gender and Culture in an Ethnographic Study of Social Work Practice in an Arab Society

Sahar Suleiman Al-Makhamreh Al-Balqa' Applied University, Jordan, [log in to unmask]

Gillian Lewando-Hundt

University of Warwick, UK, [log in to unmask]

This article discusses aspects of the socio-cultural context of an organizational ethnographic study of social work practice — the impact of culture and gender on researching social work practice in Jordanian hospitals. The authors analyse and discuss aspects of the complexities of gender and the socio-cultural context and their influence on strategies for negotiating insider/outsider status when carrying out ethnographic fieldwork in an Arab society. This study of hospital social work in Jordan illustrates how gender, culture and strategies of insiders and outsiders shape participant observation in the field setting. We reflect on ways of negotiating access and interacting more freely with respondents of differing status and gender within the social constraints of Arab societies.

Key Words: Arab societies • culture • ethnography • gender • insider/outsider • social work