Dear all,
It seems to me that the subjective/objective debate might be running out of
steam. Before it does, I'd like to outline my position as I currently see
it:

The search for objectivity is not a blind alley. Although we can't be
'totally objective' (any more than we can be 'totally tall') we can be
more, or less, objective. Being more objective implies putting a greater
distance between myself and the thing that I am relating to and can be
achieved by such processes as 'blind double marking'.

Although greater objectivity can have a negative impact (e.g. when it
involves a loss of compassion) in some social situations (as when we are
marking student assignments), being more objective results in being more
impartial. In such situations greater objectivity can have a positive
impact.

However, I am not at all clear about how this relates to practitioner
research or, indeed, any research.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,

Tim