Hi Peter
I can see you're running two interventions with a third control with the outcome measured using some (information design) rubric. You talk of measuring the quality fo the design solution but that the task is 'placing an artifact in a public location'. So I take it they're not designing the artifact but just putting it there. If that's the case then you would have some re-established criteria for best location based on the information access aims you have (or the experiment has)  what is optimal her will depend on the particular aims and constraints you have and you;d have to come up with criteria. On the other hand, id there is any design involved you would have to also have some criteria for good information design (layout etc.) and this could be established in default of any published material by getting three experts (however you define this) to do the job and using their solutions as guidelines for assessment. either way I don't think you can get away with books etc. telling you how to assess this except in the most general of terms. Gavin Melles

Dr Gavin Melles
Lecturer, Research Degree Skills
Faculty of Design
Swinburne University of Technology
Mob (03) 0402927278
>>> Peter Scupelli <[log in to unmask]> 07/03/08 3:38 AM >>>
Hello there,

I am thinking of running an experiment in which I will have participants
make a design. Some participants would have design guidelines, others a case
study, and others yet nothing. The design task is simple in nature and
involves placing an information artifact in a public location where
different groups of users can access it.

I was interested in measuring the quality of the design solutions. Can
someone on the list please indicate papers, books, journals, magazines,
conferences, or methods that deal with the evaluation of designs? Are there
some agreed upon methods in the design research community?

Thanks,
peter

Peter Scupelli
PhD Student in Human-Computer Interaction
Carnegie Mellon University

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.