My favorite weirdness along these lines is self citing with no acknowledgement of what is being done: "The sorry state of journalistic standards (Swanson 1998), especially as applied to the 2000 US presidential elections (Friedman 2008), is. . ." In other words, this must be true because I said it ten years ago and as an impartial observer I declare myself to have been right.

I suppose some citations are meant to say "This was written about previously; read the original" but they usually come off as "This is a done deal; why argue with decided law?" so self citation without comment or explanation is awkward at best.

Gunnar
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1901 East 6th Street
Greenville, North Carolina 27858