Hi Kim,

An organization that has conducted extension research and published widely
on this topic over the past two decades is the Center for Applied
Technology, or CAST. CAST developed the educational paradigm of Universal
Design for Learning (UDL)  – a coming together of universal design
principles from our field and the educational theories of multiple learning
networks first articulated by Russia Psychologist Lev Vygotsky and later
validated through contemporary cognitive science research on learning
networks in the brain. The organizations main argument is that barriers to
learning are not inherent in the capacities of the learner, but instead
arise in the learners' interactions with inflexible educational goals,
materials, methods and forms of assessment.

Many of their research papers are available on their website,
http://cast.org. If you type "assessment" into the search box you'll get a
list of paper that may be helpful for answering your question as well as
other resources that may be useful for extending the conversation about this
important issue beyond the classroom to the department and university level.

I've had the opportunity to work as a design consult at CAST over the last
few years while finishing my dissertation on redesigning print-based
materials for college students with dyslexia, and think our field could
benefit a lot from looking more closely at their work. Also, I conducted my
research at Landmark College, the first college in the United States
designed specifically for students with dyslexia and more recently ADD and
ADHD. The resources available through their Institute for Research and
Training may be of interest to you as well http://www.landmark.edu/.

Best,

Joy

Joy Sykes Leonard