I was going to suggest something similar re the position of Nantes during the 100 Years War.

  John, I am away from my references but I think there are lists of suffragan bishops in the Handbook of English Chronology - you may then be able to check up on who they were through Emden's Oxford and Cambridge biographical dictionaries.  Eubel also has such lists but Jon has already suggested that.

  I think that David M Smith and (perhaps) Robert Swanson may have written on the subject of suffragan bishops in England.  It may be worth trawling through the Royal Historical Society's on-line (freely available) bibliography.

  I think it's also possible that a suffragan was rewarded with a nice benefice (an archdeaconry was a very nice benefice and would not normally go to a member of a religious order - which many suffragans were) rather than a member of the bishop's administration being made suffragan

  Sorry not to be more precise but (as above) I am away from home.

  Regards,
  Rosemary Hayes

Andrew Larsen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

This was happening during the Hundred Years War and the Great Schism, and
Brittany was divided between English and French claimants (although what the
status of that dispute was in the 1380s, I'm not sure). It seems to me that
this might have originated with the English refusing to recognize a
French-appointed (or Avignon-provided) candidate to the see when it fell
vacant, and thereby asserting that they could appoint an English candidate
to the see. Perhaps Bottisham attempted to exercise authority there, was
rejected by the cathedral chapter, and then simply returned to England when
he couldn't make any headway, but continued to style himself as bishop of
Nantes.

Andrew E. Larsen

On 3/14/08 2:34 PM, "John Briggs" wrote:

> Andr é-Yves BOURGES wrote:
>>
>> It seems very strange to me : the episcopal see of Nantes was really
>> important at that time and its bishops are quite well-known ; no
>> episcopal list mentions the name of Bottisham. Simon de Langres has
>> been bishop de Nantes from 1366 until 1382 (de jure) and 1384 (de
>> facto) ; Jean de Montrelais bishop de Nantes from 1382 (de jure) and
>> 1384 (de facto) until his death in 1391.
>
> Was "Nanatensis" (for that seems to be the word in question) ever used as
> the Latin form of "Nantes"? (Rather than "Namnetum" or "Namnetica"?)
>
> John Briggs

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]