... precisely the kind of arrangement I was trying to describe (and hope to provide further examples of.... probably...)

Jon > Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:58:28 +0000> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [M-R] Sufragan Bishops> To: [log in to unmask]> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture> > Jon Cannon wrote:> >> > My impression is these could be from a wide range of 'available'> > sees, often in Ireland but equally often in the Balkans/near East> > etc; whether this means that in these places the funds (or perhaps> > not funds, perhaps just a suitable 'title'?) were somehow were> > available but no effective episcopal presence was required in the> > seat of the see, I don't know. I will trawl my notes later and see if> > I have hard examples to back up the impression, and send them to you> > via the list.> > Yes, but my point is that if Hatton was Archdeacon of Nottingham, then he > was "in-house" rather than "freelance" (or "permanent staff" rather than > "contractor", "faculty" rather than "adjunct") which I understood to be the > usual case. (Negropont fell to the Turks in 1470, so the title was > "available".)> > John Briggs> > **********************************************************************> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME> to: [log in to unmask]> To send a message to the list, address it to:> [log in to unmask]> To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion> to: [log in to unmask]> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:> [log in to unmask]> For further information, visit our web site:> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html
to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]