I wonder
Why the hypothesis of _true_ relics, i.e. genuine, if not miraculous,
would be so harshly discussed?
In fact, we have two different questions: the age of relics : they
cannot be so old; their authenticity, we cannot prove (and the
testimonies are, in their turn, so old -- and so well-known --  that
everyone, since the beginning, can be in his way to forge fakes.
Wouldn't it be, anyway, the *most economic solution* ? we have "true"
relics known since a millenary (the shrine of Mary in Chartres, with
pieces of cloth coming from Louis the Pious and Theodora (if I remember
well); those linen and silk pieces are 12 centuries old; why the shrine
of Chartres wouldn't be, in its turn, eight centuries older ? Coming
from Mary in an another question.
Is there any suspicion about the Boethius' grave ?

This, beeing not even a question of faith, such beyond these things, but
of logic; we know the more holistic an answer, perhaps the better...

-- et je retourne à mes copies! amitiés,
Denis

Christopher Crockett a écrit :

> From: Henk 't Jong <[log in to unmask]>
>

>> I still could come up with lots of arguments why these remains could well
>>
> be
> a fraud, though.
>
> no doubt, with your Level of Faith in the Religion of Science, you could, H.
>

> but those arugments would have to (presumably) accept that
>
> 1) The Padova skeleton, of an elderly man with arthritis, was carbon-dated to
> between mid-1st and early 4th c.;
>
> b) DNA from the teeth shows he was very probably from Syria;
>
> iii) the missing skull was matched with the reputed skull of St Luke preserved
> in Prague (but not St Luke's other skull, brought to Rome from Constantinople
> in the time of Gregory the Great, now dated 5th-6th c.).
>
> D) The leaden casket is the original burial container;
>
> IV) its decoration is typically 1st-2nd c.;
>
> 5) pollen inside it included pollen from Greece;
>
> f) carbon dating of small animal remains in the casket revealed that it had
> been in the Padova area since the 5th or 6th c., earlier, in fact, than the
> associated literary traditions.
>
> vii) The casket fits perfectly into the pagan marble sarcophagus, reworked in
> the 2nd c., associated with St Luke in Thebes in Boeotia, the traditional
> place of his death (a theory is that it may have been removed from there in
> the time of Julian the Apostate).
>
> XCIX) And so on.
>

> none of which, of course, obiates the possibility of "fraud."
>
> a very, very elaborate "fraud," perpetrated (at the latest) in the 5th or 6th
> c.
>
> most probably the work of the same 14th c. guys in Champagne who "painted" the
> Turin Artifact --the M.O. is certainly the same, so Q.E.D. on that one...
>
> "All in all, the results of the most extensive scientific tests available
> today, and a thorough review of the historical documentation, were consistent
> with the skeleton being actually that of St Luke , in which case historians
> inclined to automatic skepticism about ancient relics (I hang my head) must
> think again."
>
> "consistent" being the Operative Word, there.
>

>> Furthermore: even science asks for some kind of belief in its results,
>>

> yes.
>
> yes, it does.
>
> as the contraversy around the Turin Artifact demonstrates quite adequately
> (i.e., reading the interpretors of the "scientific" stuff is every bit as
> enlightening as reading the "shroudie" stuff).
>

>> so if you want to believe they are Luke's relics it helps.
>>

> helps *what*, eggsactly?
>

>> But I might as well talk to a brick wall, I presume.
>>

> sounds like someone who doubts the results of the C-14 testing.
>
> carful, there, H., lest you Lapse into Heresy and be Excommunicated from the
> Church of Science.
>
> next you'll find yourself doubting the C-14 testing which "proves" that the
> Turin Artifact is a 14th c. Northern French Painting.
>

>> PS I don't read Italian.

> [...]

***********************
Ya que'qu'chos'qui cloch'la-d'dans,
J'y retourne immédiat'ment.
Denis Hüe,
professeur de langue et littérature françaises du Moyen Âge
responsable du Master Lettres Langues Communication
Centre d'Etude des Textes Médiévaux, (CETM-CELAM)
Université de Haute Bretagne
http://www.uhb.fr/alc/medieval

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]