From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of jbugslag
Sent: Sat 22/03/2008 1:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] help with Bishops John Hales (d1490) and Richard Hill (d1496)

> I am really hoping you will be able to help me identify two churches
> to which Bishop Richard Hill of London (1489-96) left vestments.  They
> appear to be St Mary 'de Liaunnes/Liaumes/Lianntes' and St Nicholas
> 'de Lortn'.  I cannot identify them with any church he is know to have
> held or any London benefice.  I think he may have joined Henry Tudor
> in exile, because he was deprived of his benefices after Buckingham's
> revolt in 1483 and was dean of the chapel royal as soon as Henry
> became king.  Do any of our members in France/Brittany have any ideas?

Dear Rosemary,
I have been trying to gather information on Marian shrines in England for a while -- no easy
task after several hundred years of efforts to assign English medieval pilgrimage sites to
oblivion.  There were quite a few Marian shrines in and around London, but I am not aware of
any that fit your bill.  In France, Laon and Liesse are about the closest I can think of.  I
wonder if "Liaunnes" might actually be something like "Les aunes", since Marian shrines were
quite often associated with trees.  Its a bit undigested, but if you wish, I could send you the
material I have for London and environs.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]