The Near Eastern sees often were what are called titular sees or sees in
partibus infidelium.The practice continues in the present day in the
naming of auxiliary bishops.  For example, each of the 6 auxiliary
bishops of the archdiocese of Boston has a titular see.  The New
Catholic Encyclopedia 2nd ed. has a brief article on auxiliary bishops
dating the practice to the 12th century & saying it began as a refusal
to admit the Turks had caused a see to cease existing.

Tom Izbicki

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]