I don't remember where it is, but when I was in seminary I read a medieval homily in which the priest admonished members of the congregation to leave their
sheep and other animals outside the church.  I also seem to recall reading references to having horses enter the church as part of processions.

Definitely, there was the well known aspect of sanctuary, and from what I gather those seeking sanctuary might live for some time in a church.  And - while
not technically medieval - Victor Hugo's Quasimodo lived (sort of) in the church. . .

But locking churches was definitely part of medieval practice, at least in some areas.  Wasn't one of the "minor orders" leading to priestly ordination related
to locking the church doors?

Very interesting subject.

Pax

George R. Hoelzeman

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:52:28 -0800, Diana Wright wrote:

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>The rest of this fascinating text can be found on my website at the link
>below.
>> On the 27th day of July 1439, I, Giovanni di Jacopo di Latino de'
>> Pigli, finding myself, at the hour of terce or a little before, in the
>> public square of Peretola, saw coming along the road from Prato Messer
>> Angelo di Jacopo Acciaiuoli with some servants. He went right up to
>> the door of the church of Peretola, and knocked several times. Seeing
>> that it was not opened, I went up to him and asked what he was doing,
>> and what he wanted of the prior, if he did not mind my inquiring. He
>> answered me:
>> "I come from Pistoia and Prato in the suite of the Emperor of
>> Constantinople, who wanted to go see Pistoia and the Girdle of Our
>> Lady at Prato, and I was assigned to his suite by the Signoria. And
>> because the hour is late for us to get to Florence to eat, and he is
>> tired and sick as you know, I wanted to put him up in the church until
>> this evening."
>http://nauplion.net/CP-John-Texts.html           [scroll down]

>I had always assumed that locking churches was a modern thing, but this
>suggests it is not.  Could people camp out in churches when they were
>travelling?  [My father and I did in West Africa in the 50s.]

>Comments?

>DW

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]