Cate--

The Summula (1240) of Bishop Walter de Cantilupe contains a very
similar section (37, "The Articles of Faith").  (This Summula is
printed in Councils and Synods attributed to Peter Quinel in 1287; J.
Goering and D. Taylor published an article about them in Speculum 67,
no. 3 (July 1992): 576-94.)  Either there is a common source or one
is based on the other.  Maybe this will help us date Edmund's work?

I would guess there is no continental precedent.  One possible
English source might be in a work of William of Montibus (J.
Goering's monograph gives descriptions and incipits of all his
works).  At the least he includes the seven sacraments as the twelfth
article of faith in his Numerale.

For a better answer, you might email Dr. Goering (at the University
of Toronto).

Let me know what you discover, especially about the date of Edmund's
work.

--Jonathan

On 26 Mar 2008, at 10:16 AM, TJP EVERITT wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Dear colleagues
>
> Edmund of Abingdon has a chapter 'de duodecim articulis fidei' in
> his _Speculum Religiosorum_ which consists of five articles of
> faith based on the creed and the seven sacraments.  I have been
> unable to find any contemporary (early 13th cent.) or source with a
> similar list - I have checked the _De sacramentis_ of Hugh of St
> Victor who was an influence on Edmund as well as the _Summa aurea_
> of William of Auxerre and _Summa confessorum_ of Thomas of
> Chobham.  Does anyone know of anyone else who includes the
> sacraments in a list of articles of faith?
>
> thanks, Cate
>

> Cate Gunn

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]