The programme also made the claim that the Veronica has been in
Oviedo since the fifth century, and that a minute comparison of the
main bloodstain thereon with the main one on Christ's head as it
appears on the Shroud of Turin shows the two stains to have almost
identical outlines. (It would make sense that the Verionica's stain
be larger than the one on the Shroud, given its direct contact with
the body.)

This led to the hypothesis that the Shroud had to have existed from
at least the same time as the Veronica, i.e. the fifth century.

George

--
George FERZOCO

On 24 Mar 2008, at 16:31, George R. Hoelzeman wrote:

> Dag - I really need to get access to this show, which, on dialup,
> "ain't gonna happen" on the internet. . .
>
> That does seem like a weak hypothesis, unless there is some sort of
> evidence that sewing the two together was a common practice.  It
> doesn't look like the
> head piece is sewn into the rest of the cloth on the shroud, but
> then, I've not ever seen it in person.
>
> I DID see the tunic of Mary at Trier  once or three times, but
> that's a different matter.
>
> Seems to be one conundrum after another with this thing.
>
> Other than it being a 13th Cento French painting - (right Chris?) ;-))
>
> George (the lesser)
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:00:08 +0000, George FERZOCO wrote:
>
>> The show tried to make the point that there were:
>
>> a) the 'napkin' (or face cloth, or Veronica)
>> b) the main shroud
>> c) a strip of cloth used to bind closely the shroud (and underlying
>> napkin) to the body
>
>> In what was, for me, the weakest part of the hypotheses presented,
>> the show made the claim that c) was later stitched to the side of b)
>
>> George

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]