Right - that's precisely my question. . . if the description in John is accurate (which may be an open question, I dunno) then the there are some issues with
the shroud itself.  This, in my mind, creates a separate anomaly:  The medievals would certainly have been aware of the inconsistencies between the
Johannine account and the Turin shroud . . . as evidenced by your reference to period painting.

So, why would a forger create something so obviously at variance with the Gospel account, and even more, why would it gain credence?

Oh, wait . . . silly me!  I live in Arkansas.  We see that sort of thing every day ;-))

Still, I'm curious about several things.  Why does John even mention the cloths?  I'm wondering if there is something else going on here. . . maybe I need to
drag out some other references. . .

George (increasing inclined to exert some effort)