Add another Benedictine to the list of those who find this most fascinating!

I'm wondering if one could calculate the dates of Easter to figure out exactly what year Benedict reputedly died. . . on the other hand, that might be difficult
considering the differences in calendars between his day and ours.

Very interesting indeed!

Related to Benedict, what is the state of scholarship on the historicity of his sister Scholastica?

Pax

George R. Hoelzeman

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 00:42:51 -0400, John Wickstrom wrote:

>------_=_NextPart_001_01C88A44.DA948F6D

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>Being something of a St. Benedict of Nursia admirer, I was recalling =
>that his quondam feast is this coming Good Friday, March 21st. =
>Traditionally he passed on Holy Saturday, the day before Easter that =
>year (traditionally 543).  Since this year Holy Saturday is only one day =
>later than that, I wondered when we would get a Holy Week that repeated =
>the dates of Benedict's passing. Turns out that it is the rarest of  =
>calendars:

>=20

>"For the first time in nearly 100 years Easter is coming at its earliest =
>on Sunday, March 23, 2008. The last time Easter Sunday fell on March 23 =
>was in 1913. However, Easter can occur earlier than March 23. The =
>earliest Easter ever recorded in the Gregorian calendar from 1753 =
>onwards was on March 22, both in 1761 and 1818.

>=20

>The next time Easter occurs on March 23 will not be until 2160, and a =
>March 22 Easter will not happen until the year 2285."

>=20

>So this year will be the closest most of us will get to replicating that =
>revered Holy Week in the 6th century.

>=20

>(Quotation from =
>//www.timeanddate.com/news/holidays/early-easter-2008.html)