John is certainly right about the Alexamenos image.  As far as ascertainable Christian usage
is  concerned, the Crucifixion does not appear until the 5th century in images like that on the
wooden doors of the Church of S. Sabina in Rome, and an ivory relief, part of a Passion
narrative, in the British Museum.  Before that, it was overwhelmingly Christ's Resurrection
that was important, beginning in the early 3rd-century bapistery of the house-church at Dura
Europos.  An intermediary image, however, began to appear in the 4th-century on Christian
sarcophagi, in a limited sequence of Passion images, once again, but instead of the actual
Crucifixion, what is shown is the cross, with a bust-length image of Christ in a wreath or
clipeus, perched on top of the Cross, while soldiers sleep below it, thus combining elements
of both the Crucifixion and Resurrection in a largely symbolic image that undoubtedly
emphasizes, as does the Resurrection, Christ's victory over death, rather than his death per
se.  This combination continues in the 6th and 7th centuries, in images of the Crucifixion
represented immediately above the Resurrection, as on the Holy Land pilgrim ampullae in the
treasuries at Monza and Bobbio.  I find it interesting that the Crucifixion only begins to appear
on its own at a time of heated Christological debate over his dual nature, when such heretical
splinter groups such as the Monophysites are denying Christ's human nature.  What better
way to stress that human nature than by showing him on the cross?
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]