On Tuesday, March 25, 2008, at 1:50 pm, Tom Izbicki wrote:

> that were believed to be true then but are not now.  Think of the
> saints
> removed from the calendar by Paul VI.  These latter (like George) were
>
> believed in devoutly, & their cults are examples of a different age of
>
> religiosity.

Georgios ho mikros has already answered this in respect of his own name saint but it should also be said in general that "the calendar" from which Paul VI removed saints was the General Roman Calendar, a schedule of a rather limited number of celebrations engaged in universally by a world church.  As the General Roman Calendar was not in Paul's day, as it also is not now, an exhaustive list of all saints whose cults were/are permitted in some form and in some places within that church, removal from that calendar did not constitute suppression of a cult.  My impression is that the great majority of the saints removed from the General Roman Calendar as a result of the revisions promulgated in 1969 remain on particular calendars and thus may be said to have ongoing cults.

If the cults of these saints are ongoing, though they may be examples of a different age of religiosity, they are also examples of the present age of religiosity.  Another example of the present age of religiosity is the continuing cult of saint Philomena of Rome, removed in 1961 from the General Roman Calendar but not altogether suppressed.  On that latter point, see:
http://www.philomena.it/

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]