> The spiritual and sentimental image of the reconstruction of a "Crib"
> reminding a venerate occasion, has got its origins since 432 when Pope
> Sisto the Third (432/40) created a "cave of the Nativity" similar to
> Bethlehem in the primitive Basilica.

I'm have been becoming a bit more familiar recently with the Grotto of the Nativity in
Bethlehem -- which actually had a side grotto opening off it called the Grotto of the Manger --
but this is the first reference I've seen to Sixtus III creating a "cave of the Nativity" in S. Maria
Maggiore.  It seems rather a "Lourdes" sort of thing to do.  Does anyone know anything about
this?
Also, the website of the basilica, although correctly naming Sixtus III as the founder, also
recounts the legendary story of Mary making it snow in August on the precise area where the
church was to go.  Does anyone know when this legend began to circulate -- or at least,
when it is first recorded?
In a related vein, does anyone know when apparitions of the Virgin Mary began to appear?
Or for that matter, apparitions of any saints.  One of the earliest apparitions I have heard of
are St Michael's apparitions to the bishop of Siponto at Monte Gargano, in Apulia, which
apparently occurred in 493, but this seems remarkably early, in relation to apparitions of
actual saints, rather than, say, archangels, whose business it is, really, to "appear" to people.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]