Dear Linda,

as part of my Stored Collections project at UCL we have found, not
surprisingly, that most users of collections would prefer to find out
what's in collections from online catalogues. Francesca Monti, who's
assisting with the research, has analysed the websites of museums that
told us they had online catalogues (not all did, that she could find!)
and arrived at some criteria that seem important. We have just opened
a survey to a few users to ask their opinions on what is most useful.
Here are the replies so far. It closes on 21 March. We don't expect a
lot of replies as this is just an indicative qualitative exercise.

Replies (ongoing):	 http://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/rtp.do?r=4554
Research project website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/storedcollections

You might like to ask Francesca to have a look at your website, [log in to unmask]
.

There is some previous work by Barbara Lejeune published recently, you
can get the very useful volume of papers on stored collections from http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/pia/special-volume-1-2007/contents.htm
  (only £8)

best wishes

Suzanne Keene

::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::  ::
Dr Suzanne Keene
Institute of Archaeology, UCL
31-34 Gordon Square
London
WC1H 0PY

020 7679 4935
www.ucl.ac.uk/museumstudies/
www.suzannekeene.info

You might be interested in my new book, Fragments of the World: uses
of museum collections