At 17:48 01/03/2008, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Marcus Wigan wrote:
>
>>Steven, could you please forward to the list?
>>There are several points Id like to make:
>>1) peer reviewed flag: YES please
>>
>>but there are several variants here
>>
>>a) a preprint held in an internal repository, which has
>>subsequently been published in a peer reviewed journal, but at the
>>time has not been nor has the journal been selected.. its still an
>>invaluable tag, but implies a double entry and update process. Not
>>desirable from a management point of view (unless the authors do
>>it.. and not many will)
>
>(i) For documents deposited as unrefereed preprints, their metadata can be
>updated to add that they have been peer-reviewed (including journal
>name, date, etc.) once those data are available; and if the paper itself
>has revised in response to the refereeing, an updated full-text can be
>added too.

It's as important to the journal publisher as to the author and
reader that journal ref. data and link to publisher version are
added, particularly to those papers archived prior to these data
being known. This information is often a condition of a publisher's
green light to self-archiving and, dare I say it, will inform release
from embargoes too.

Prof. Wigan is probably right to note that not many authors will add
this information. For many records in arXiv this is done by
SLAC-SPIRES. So we need a system to help IRs too. First would be an
alert from the publisher to the author and repository manager when a
paper is published. This could be in some tagged form to be agreed,
to enable the data to be added easily to the repository record.

To simplify the system for doing this, perhaps a broad bibliographic
agency such as CrossRef could provide the data to repositories on
behalf of publishers. I recall a meeting with senior representatives
from CrossRef some years ago when the idea was favourably received.
In view of the mandates requiring OA to published papers, and the
shared interests in linking up the different versions effectively,
perhaps now would be a good time to re-visit this approach.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865