Dear all,

We pleased to announce this national workshop, organised under the LLAS Subject Centre's Workshops to go <http://www.llas.ac.uk/news/newsarchiveitem.aspx?resourceid=2400>  scheme, which will run once in Cambridge in May, and once in Leeds in November. Details are pasted below, and at http://www.llas.ac.uk/events/llaseventitem.aspx?resourceid=2950 (May workshop); http://www.llas.ac.uk/events/llaseventitem.aspx?resourceid=2951 (November workshop).

In the meantime, we'd like to invite interested colleagues to contribute a short (15-minute) presentation on their experiences and practice in relation to the topics addressed by the workshop. If you would like to contribute one of these presentations, please could you contact us at [log in to unmask] (Matthew Treherne), [log in to unmask] (Claire Honess), or [log in to unmask] (Abigail Brundin)?

Best wishes,

Abigail Brundin, Claire Honess, and Matthew Treherne

National Workshop: Teaching medieval and early-modern culture to students of modern languages

St Catharine's College, Cambridge, 23rd May 2008
University of Leeds, 21st November 2008

Workshop funded by the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies, and by the Faculty of Arts, University of Leeds

Organised by Matthew Treherne and Claire Honess (Leeds Centre for Dante Studies, Department of Italian, University of Leeds) and Abigail Brundin (Department of Italian, University of Cambridge)

To register, please visit http://www.llas.ac.uk/events/llaseventitem.aspx?resourceid=2950 (May workshop); http://www.llas.ac.uk/events/llaseventitem.aspx?resourceid=2951 (November workshop).

This workshop aims to support the teaching of medieval and early-modern culture in modern languages - an area which is often felt to be in decline. The workshop starts from the premise that the study of medieval and early-modern culture is pedagogically and intellectually important, enriching students' lives and providing them with invaluable skills. The workshops will be determinedly upbeat: our purpose is not to lament any changes which have occurred, but to identify practical ways in which we can engage and inspire students. The aim is to identify transferable good practice in a wide range of national and historical contexts. Colleagues who teach medieval and early-modern topics in all national contexts are invited to participate.

The workshop will address the following topics

-          How might changes in A-level syllabi affect the teaching of medieval and early-modern culture at university level?

-          Which practices work - and how can these good practices be shared by colleagues?

-          What models are being developed outside modern languages departments in teaching medieval and early-modern culture, which might help us engage students?

-          In what ways can interdisciplinary approaches invigorate study of medieval and early-modern culture?

-          What resources already exist to support our work in this field, and which new resources need to be developed?

The workshop will be held twice:

Friday 23rd May 2008 (11.30-4.30 pm)
The Ramsden Room, St Catharine's College, Cambridge
For directions to St Catharine's College, visit http://www.cam.ac.uk/map/v4/drawmap.cgi?mp=main;xx=1741;yy=1001;mt=c;ms=75.

Friday 21st November 2008 (11.30-4.30 pm)
The Leeds Humanities Research Institute, University of Leeds
For the location of the LHRI on campus, visit http://webprod2.leeds.ac.uk/campusmap/detail.asp?ID=546; for information on reaching the University of Leeds, visit http://www.leeds.ac.uk/visitors/getting_here.htm.

For more information, please contact Claire Honess ([log in to unmask]), Matthew Treherne ([log in to unmask]), or Abigail Brundin ([log in to unmask]).

Please note that there is no charge for these workshops, but we reserve the right to charge a £20.00 non-attendance fee. Lunch will be provided at each event.

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html