Thanks Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of HOWARD, Bruce
Sent: 06 March 2008 13:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gathering data to populate the Wood-pasture and Parkland Information System (WAPIS)

Dear Victoria

I have checked with colleagues and we have not received a request for this data here at the NMR.

I would agree with you that the attached letter does not appear to show any understanding of the importance of the currency of HER data and the ongoing work in its maintenance.

I think that the original request for data was rather unclear in both the definition of content and format.  I think also that more information about the purpose to which it was intended to put the data would have been helpful in identifying what should be included.

In terms of general guidance to HERs where these sorts of requests are received, I would suggest that an initial approach would be to gain clarification on the points noted above, but that in general HERs should aim to be helpful within reason.  For this sort of request it may be that GIS-based data would be most appropriate (polygonised rather than point data) and I note that various list members offered their HLC data relating to this, which would seem to be a very sensible approach.

With any data sent I think that it would be important to include some metadata or statement as to at which point the data was current and who to contact as the original data owner.

I think that the key point is to establish early on what the purpose of collecting the data is for any request and get any clarification required then.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Howard

Heritage Information Partnerships Supervisor (HER Liaison)

English Heritage

National Monuments Record

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

Tel: 01793 414880  Fax: 01793 414770

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

mobile: 07979 241 770

New Guidelines for Historic Environment Records now available online:   <http://www.ifp-plus.info/> www.ifp-plus.info

HER Forum email list owner:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/herforum.html

P Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?