From: Adrian Renton
Sent: 31 March 2008 11:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Chair in Community and Family Health

Dear Colleagues

Apologies for Cross Posting

The Institute for Health and Human Development at University of East London is seeking to recruit a clinical or  non-clinical Professor in Community and Family Health

We are seeking a clinical or non-clinical public health academic for this new post. This is a unique opportunity for an academic with real commitment to addressing social, economic and cultural influences on health and on community / family health and social service delivery to lead the development of a research group within the IHHD and contribute to its management and teaching within UEL.

Newham is the main Olympic Borough and at the heart of the Thames Gateway, the largest development in Europe. It has great, cultural ethnic and linguistic diversity and high levels of deprivation and health challenge. UEL is at the heart of developments in East London, and a principle source of higher education for the people of our region. We have an excellent research track record in health, social and cultural studies and education which form the core disciplines of a modern public health approach, and these are being brought together within our new cross-university research Institute for Health and Human Development (IHDD), which has already secured £2.5m of research funds in its first 18 months.

The pattern of Newham University Hospital’s clinical activity is affected by the population's characteristics which lead to a heavy bias towards emergency presentations when intervention is not only more costly but also less effective. To address this, considerable expertise has developed in working with patients across administrative boundaries and clinical specialities.  We deal with people’s disease problems in new and innovative ways which are sensitive to culturally specific needs and which increase health knowledge and change health behaviour.

The Institute for Health and Human Development is rapidly emerging as a force for Public Health in London and is working closely with the London Health Commission and NHS London as well other  leading academic groups. A picture of our activities and aspirations can be obtained at www.uel.ac.uk/ihhd

Disciplinary background less important than vision and commitment

Closing Date for applications is 2nd May 2008

Interviews will take place over 2 days - 22nd and 23rd May 2008.

Job description, can be obtained at: http://www.uel.ac.uk/vacancies/documents/ProfCFHBackground-JD-PersonSpecSVSAAR040308.doc

Application materials can be obtained at: http://www.uel.ac.uk/vacancies/application.htm

Potential candidates are encouraged to contact Professor Adrian Renton, Director, Institute of Health and Human Development: +44 (0)777 589 3669,  ([log in to unmask]) or Dr Sheila Adam: Director of Women’s and Family Health, Newham, (+44 (0) 795 791 5211) ([log in to unmask]) for an informal discussion of the role.

Best wishes

Adrian Renton

Professor Adrian Renton

Director

INSTITUTE FOR HEALTH AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

University of East London

5th Floor Arthur Edwards Building

Romford Rd

London E15 4LZ