All,
   Until many more workers start systematically analyzing biotite for Fe3+/Fe2+, meaningful thermometric applications involving it are deeply flawed, giving anomalously high T for many reactions.  This same problem may exist for application of random vapor-absent melting curves as well.
eric

On Mar 28, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Frisch, Thomas wrote:

Thanks are due John for disseminating a very useful compilation of geothermobarometry references.
One addition I suggest is
Wu, C., Pan, Y. & Wang, K. 1999. Refinement of the biotite-orthopyroxene geothermometer with applications. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 15(3), 463-468. In Chinese with English abstract and figure captions.
This is a refinement of Fonarev & Konilov's (1986) Fe-Mg exchange thermometer, which is listed by John.
Tom Frisch

_________________
Thomas Frisch
Geological Survey of Canada
601 Booth Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0E8
Canada
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

From: Metamorphic Studies Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Winter
Sent: March 27, 2008 4:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Geothermobarometry

Thanks to those who replied to my request for updates to a table of thermometers and barometers. It’s all-but-impossible to keep such a table current or complete, but here is my latest compilation, as promised, for those interested. The references are integrated into my overall text references, and will be difficult for me to extract from that huge list. Hopefully you’ll know how to track any down that you want (or just wait for the second edition to come out!).  Cheers.   John

John D. Winter
Department of Geology
Whitman College
Now at:  PO Box 551735