Hi,

On 26 Feb 2008, at 23:13, Stephane Jacobs wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks again for your answer, and sorry for resurrecting a somewhat
> old discussion... I'm still confused about this, and unless I have a
> wrong idea about what are the "relevant contrasts" at the first
> level, I don't see how featquery could get the right PPheight
> values...
>
> So, to make sure I'm clear, here's my precise case. At the first
> level, I have for each subject two different types of run, each
> containing 2 of my four conditions:
> Run1: conditions A1 and B2
> Run2: conditions A2 and B1
>
> At the first level, I modeled each condition versus modeled rest
> periods. Therefore, the design.con file for each feat directory
> contains the PPheight values for condition A1 and B2 or A2 and B1,
> depending on the type of run.
>
> At the second level, I wanted to include all 4 conditions, so I used
> cope images instead of feat directories as inputs, and included cope
> images corresponding to conditions A1, A2, B1 and B2. In my
> understanding, what happens then is that the PPheight value
> contained in the design.lcon file at the output of the 2nd level
> analysis is the average of the first level PPheight values across
> all inputs, that is in my case, all four conditions.
>
> I understand that this should be fine for FEAT, but what happens
> when one runs featquery on the output of the second level analysis?
> From the code I've read, I don't see how it could get anything else
> but this average PPheight value across different conditions, which I
> don't think is what we want... Especially if different conditions
> give very different PPheight values.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying is problematic with this, or
even how this is different from what you are doing below..... in
general is you have very different ppheights for the different first-
level conditions, then there's probably a problem in combining their
resulting PEs/COPEs, surely? Or are you talking about the fine-detail
tuning of such issues, such as is addressed in Jeanette's excellent
techrep at http://mumford.bol.ucla.edu/perchange_guide.pdf ?   As far
as I can see, both FEAT and Featquery are in general doing the right
thing for most situations......?

Cheers.

> So, what I've done is to go back to the first level output and the
> design.con files, computed the average PPheight values for each
> condition separately (I had several occurrences of each run type),
> and had featquery use these values instead of the average PPheight
> value across conditions.
>
> Does this make sense, or am I even more confused than I thought? :-)
>
> Thanks again for your help and time!
>
> Best,
>
> Stephane
>

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:51:30 +0000, Steve Smith
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Reasonable question - however, I still believe that this is fine: the
>> higher-level .lcon has already (at the start of the higher-level FEAT
>> run) been created to contain the average of all the relevant first-
>> level contrasts' PPheight values - this averaging has already been
>> done and Featquery just reads this single value in.
>>
>> Hope this answers the query?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On 29 Jan 2008, at 02:00, Stephane Jacobs wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Steve,

>>> I'm probably missing something here. I did not check into details
>>> for
>>> FEAT, but I have looked into the Featquery script, and here is
>>> what I
>>> understood: when calculating the scaling factor, it determines
>>> whether
>>> it's a first or higher level analysis just by looking whether a
>>> design.lcon file exists within the feat directory. If not (first
>>> level),
>>> it uses the ppheight from the design.con file, which specifies a
>>> ppheight value for each EV. If it does find design.lcon (higher
>>> level),
>>> however, then it uses the single value contained in this file to
>>> scale
>>> all the copes contained in the feat directory - which, in my case,
>>> come
>>> from different 1st level copes. If this is right, then I don't see