Hi Matt and all,

I prefer to use the Universtiy of British Columbia Department of
Epidemiology website calculator.  You can find it at:
http://www.healthcare.ubc.ca/calc/bayes.html

It is a Bayesian calculator and if you have the 2x2 table, you'll get
confidence intervals.

Best wishes,

Dan
>>> Matt Williams <[log in to unmask]> 3/11/2008 12:27 AM

As a follow-up to this, does anyone know how to calculate confidence
intervals on Sens & Spec?

I'm assuming that when you replace one test with another, you won't get

a perfect match in terms of performance parameters, so I'd be
interested
in knowing how you know when it's 'good enough'

Thanks,

Matt

brnbaum wrote:
> Teresa Benson posted:
>> If you are using correlation coefficients to decide whether one
>> clinical
>> test can be substituted for another, particularly with
non-dichotomous
>> values (e.g., blood glucose), is there a certain minimum value you
>> look
>> for?  (Assuming, of course, the new test is cheaper or easier.)  Or
do
>> you always just look at things like sensitivity/specificity and
>> predictive value, and disregard the correlation coefficients?  The
old
>> User's Guide to the Medical Literature recommends a correlation
>> coefficient of at least .8, but I'd like to know what others think
>> about
>> this.
>>

> I'd recommend sensitivity, specificity, positive & negative
predictive values, LR+, LR-, and McNemar's chi-square test as being more
meaningful than correlation coefficients for this purpose. For
non-dichotomous tests, it also would be appropriate to examine goodness
of fit throughout the entire reported value range (new test might
perform well in certain zones but not as well as the other test in other
zones). Probably wise to check the literature on diagnostic test
assessment so as to have a reference supporting the approach you
select.

--
http://acl.icnet.uk/~mw
http://adhominem.blogsome.com/

Dan Mayer, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY,  12208
Ph; 518-262-6180
FAX; 518-262-5029
E-mail; [log in to unmask]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is protected by law and is for the
sole use of the individuals or entities to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this email and destroying all copies of the
communication and attachments. Further use, disclosure, copying,
distribution of, or reliance upon the contents of this email and
attachments is strictly prohibited. To contact Albany Medical
Center, or for a copy of our privacy practices, please visit us on
the Internet at www.amc.edu.