Message
Colleagues,
Please find our call for papers for this year's OEC conference. Please forward this email to any lists you feel might be interested but particularly to relevant lists within your insitution.

Bob Jeffrey, Grace Clifton, Geoff Troman and Geoffrey Walford

 Call for Papers/Registration

Oxford Ethnography and Education Conference:

Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 17th September 2008

This year’s conference will be at our regular venue of St Hilda’s College Oxford where it began in 1978. The college is situated on the banks of the River Cherwell with gardens that sweep down to the edge of the river, justifiably famous for picnics, pleasant evening strolls and views of punting. It is located in the centre of the city www.sthildas.ox.ac.uk/conferences.

We look forward to a continuing stream of international papers that focus on educational contexts and issues through ethnography and ethnographic methods including empirical fieldwork as well as methodological papers focusing on research activity.

We always have a large representation from outside the UK – over 50% - and we hope this will continue. As many of know, we publish a journal Ethnography and Education for which papers from the Oxford Ethnography Conference provide a rich resource.

As last year the registration fee for the conference will include a journal subscription for the journal for three issues in 2008 and this will be repeated for future conferences.

Conference Culture

We aim to create a positive and collegial atmosphere, and there will be ample opportunity for people to meet, talk and socialize.

As previously, all papers will be circulated before the conference to enable 40 minute sessions to be developed almost entirely to a discussion of the research findings, methods and wider issues attached to each paper.

We also encourage you to invite other ethnographers from the fringes of education who you feel would welcome such an opportunity. The number of papers will be limited (40 maximum) in order to maintain a high degree of interaction in the sessions. Consequently abstracts should provide clear evidence of a contribution to knowledge of the education sphere and details of ethnographic methodology.

 Abstract Submission

Electronic abstracts of between 300-500 words should be submitted to Bob Jeffrey  [log in to unmask]  by Friday 28th March 2008 and a copy of the accepted papers should be submitted by Friday 27th July 2008.

Abstract authors will be notified of paper acceptance by 11th April 2008.

Organisation and Accommodation

The Open University will be responsible for the organisation and administration of the conference coordinated by Grace Clifton and Bob Jeffrey

The cost of the two day conference will be £130. This includes all tea and coffees, lunches, a wine reception and a year’s subscription to the Ethnography and Education journal.

Bed and Breakfast Accommodation is additional and can be booked through us at the following prices:

Single Ensuite room - £76 (including VAT) per night.

Single standard rooms with basin and corridor access to bathrooms - £57 (including VAT) per night.

Twin bedded room for two people - £46 (including VAT) per person per night.

Evening dinner is not included.

Rooms can be booked for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. Booking will commence after delegates have had their abstracts approved but please let us know sooner if you definitely require a booking form by emailing Grace [log in to unmask]

 Other relevant conferences at this time.

British Education Research Association – 3-6 September – Edinburgh

 http://www.beraconference.co.uk/

European Education Research Conference – 10-12 September – Gothenburg

 http://www.eera.ac.uk

Send messages to this list to: ethnography-in-education@jiscmail,.ac.uk To activate commands for this list send only the following messages, with no subject heading, to [log in to unmask] For Example: leave ethnography-in-education [This deletes your membership] set ethnography-in-education nomail [Suspends mail to you from this list] set ethnography-in-education mail [Resumes mail] review ethnography-in-education [This gets you a list of members] index ethnography-in-education [This gets a list of files in the list archive] get ethnography-in-education\FILENAME.FILETYPE [This gets a file from the archive. Type filename accurately.] To contact the owners of this list send your message to: [log in to unmask] To access the ethnography-in-education website at Jiscmail go to: www.jiscmail.ac.uk and search for ethnography-in-education