Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:56:11 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: environmental justice course development
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Jim and others

I have never taught Environmental Justice so anybody affronted by bold assertions based on ignorance should look away now.

I have to agree that a sense of justice (used in the second sense) that includes the natural world stretches definitions too far especially since in the notional court, where the justice is deliberated upon, the judge, jury, defence and prosecution are all human (one assumes).  The natural world does not have a voice and a human proxy can only represent a human perspective even if the intention is to mount a defence.   'Fair' treatment of the natural environment is a construct that refers to human values.

However environmental justice that makes judgements between people in relation to the use and misuse of the wider environment makes much more sense.  The analogies 'food justice' and 'clothes justice' are not really comparable since clothes and food are not held in common.  The environment is held in common and damage to it is an infringement of my equal right to enjoy it.  Of course the wealthy may choose to buy cleaner air.  Perhaps even the less well off, may choose to spend their resources on the quality of their environment rather than a plasma screen TV. That is their right.  The Justice argument applies not to how fairly the environment is divided between us but to how an environment that we wish to share is defended against those who degrade it.  It is a case of protecting existing entitlements..  It is not as Beckman and Pasek suggest (in the extract) a problem of 'distribution'.

Best

PK