From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List on behalf of Annie Mitchell
Sent: Tue 3/18/2008 08:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CP Conference 2008 - Edinburgh

Yes, good thoughts; be great to include and extend to those who align themselves directly with a critical psychology stance, and it’s great that Ian is contributing. And I like your panel/ discussion idea – as you say, trying to be non-elitist with it.

David you say that  community psychology as a form of critical psychology,  and flowing from this is the position that anything that tries to pass for community psychology that is not( deemed as) sufficiently critical requires critique. But is this the only position that we can take between us as community psychologists?

 Perhaps  we could ask some other questions as well?. Given ( drawn from Carolyn Kagan in part) a set of community psychology values around critique of power, stewardship and an emphasis on relationships rather than individuality,  framed negatively I would also ask: what is environmentally wrong with community psychology? what is relationally wrong with community psychology? Or, framed in a way that leans in a different direction: what is environmentally right with community psychology? What is relationally right with community psychology? And then, what is critically right with community psychology – or is that almost a contradiction in terms?

I as recently having a conversation with a friend who an academic accountant. She was telling me about the critical/ radical strand  of accountancy ( yes, apparently there is one,). I was speculating that it would be great for the critical sections of various disciplines, to network more powerfully together  and she laughingly dismissed my innocence, saying that the critical lot in her field were far too busy arguing among themselves to connect with other critics from other fields. And it set me thinking ( again) about how ironic ( and perhaps disabling a bit too) our internal wranglings are.

And I wondered what it would be like to have a critical person from another field presenting at the conference: critical psychiatry,  law, accounting, literature, theatre. What are our commonalities and differences. What can we do together?

Annie

Annie Mitchell

Clinical Director,

Doctorate in Clinical Psychology,

School of Applied Psychosocial Studies,

Faculty of Health and Social Work,

University of Plymouth,

Peninsula Allied Health Collaboration,

Derriford Road,

Plymouth,

Devon

PL6 8BH

Phone  Programme Administrators:
Jane Murch, Emma Hellingsworth

01752 233786

Please note I  work 3 days per week:

usually Monday, Tuesday & either Wednesday or Thursday.