杨柳青 wrote:
> Hello,everyone!
> I have a question,is the expression vector effect crystallization much?
> For example,"PQE2-protein" structure has 2 molecules in one
> unit-cell,"PQE70-protein single mutant" has 5molecules in one
> unit-cell.Is the vector effect the results or the mutant itself?
> Can protein with some kind vector does not produce crystals?
> Thank you very much!
> Best wishes!
> liuqing

> 使用新一代 Windows Live Messenger 轻松交流和共享! 立即体验!
> <http://messenger.live.cn/>
The expression vector is essentially irrelevant to protein
crystallization, as it is only the means by which the recombinant
protein is produced. However, the protein structure does have everything
to do with crystallization conditions and results. Single amino acid
mutations, or the presence of purification tags, can have profound
effects on the unit cell symmetry and size of protein crystals. In
addition, a single protein can, and often does, crystallize under
different crystallization conditions in wildly different space groups
and asymmetric units.

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor
Colgate University Presidential Scholar