Having just sampled a few Linux apps, the most common behaviour for the
close decoration seems to be to close without warning if there is no
unsaved work, or to close with warning otherwise.

At first glance, the CCP4i main window never has an unsaved state, so I
was going to disagree with you. However, if you have a task window open
(which may have unsaved program parameters entered in it), then closing
the main window also closes the task window, losing the info you were
entering.

So I would vote in favour of a confirm option. Or even better, close
automatically if no other windows are open, or ask for confirmation if
there are any other windows open (but the benefit of this refinement is
marginal - only worth doing if it is really easy).

Kevin