Hello,

So sorry to post this here but I'm at wits end and am just hoping that
somebody here has had a similar problem (and subsequent fix).  Here goes.

I have 7 systems, close to identical, all running FC7.  For all, I used
the autobuild script on the ccp4 website to generate the entire ccp4
package (including coot0.3.1).  As I don't want to deal with network
problems, I install the programs on every computer following the same
build methods.  I know I could do this differently, but for now I don't
want to change methods.

Now, everything appears to be running normally with no issues.  However,
I just recently tried building a model from scratch, using the
baton-mode and then CAatoms - > mainchain button.  One one computer,
this works great, and I can build, combine fragments, renumber, blah
blah blah and get a structure.  For the other 6 machines, I can do the
baton mode (and it seems to work), but when I hit the CA - > mainchain
button, nothing happens (it just spins for a few seconds then appears to
work but there are no new atoms on the screen).

I tried downloading the newest ccp4 with no luck, and also the newest
coot (from the coot website).  They seem to run fine, but again get
stalled when I try to do what I state above.  It just doesn't work
(though coot appears to be working normally - I can display
molecules/maps and move things around and such).

The problem is, I don't even know where to start here.  I would gladly
replace/uninstall/reinstall, but what is it that is broken and needs
fixing?  Like I said, I tried several different reinstalls today with no
luck at all (even the new coot gave the same problem).  I went to the
coot faq and did the soft-link of the reference-libraries (which is an
old fix but you never know) and it had no effect.

I will say the one machine that is working is my one at home, and so I
can't simply share that directory via nfs and see if it works on the
other machines (not trivial).  All were built the same way, but
obviously I missed a file/link or something that is not allowing this
important part of the program to work.

Any helpful tips?

Thanks so much.

Dave Roberts