If I move my .CCP4 directory out of the way and start ccp4i, it makes
a new one:

zsh-% ccp4i
22:14:16 Creating a home directory for CCP4 at /Users/wgscott/.CCP4
22:14:16 Creating CCP4i shadow area at /Users/wgscott/.CCP4/CCP4I_TOP
22:14:16 Creating shadow subdirectory /Users/wgscott/.CCP4/CCP4I_TOP/bin
22:14:16 Creating shadow subdirectory /Users/wgscott/.CCP4/CCP4I_TOP/src
22:14:16 Creating shadow subdirectory /Users/wgscott/.CCP4/CCP4I_TOP/etc

Are you sure it isn't there?

What do you get for

ls ~/.CCP4

By the way the unix command for making a directory like this is

mkdir ~/.CCP4

but the GUI appears to do that automatically.

Maybe you are trying to make the thing with the Finder (Apple's file
browser)? Best to avoid it for anything unixy.  It is a carbon-based
relic of pre-osx days.